- 1 pound oio (bonefish), scraped and cleaned of bones
- 1 large egg
- 4 stalks green onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium carrot, peeled, grated, optional
- 1/2-inch ginger, peeled, grated
- 1 teapoon salt
- 1 teaspoon coconut aminos
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame seed oil
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup tapioca starch
- Ghee for frying
1. Gently mix all ingredients until combined, except for ghee.
2. Heat a pan on medium, melt about a teaspoon of ghee. I dropped these by the spoonful and flattened them a bit.
3. Cook about 3-4 minutes per side, until browned. I let them rest for about five minutes before eating (mainly because they were super hot).
The tapioca starch behaves differently than cornstarch, but I definitely enjoyed the texture, the cakes came out more bouncy (like those good Italian meatballs).